Thursday, April 13, 2006

3 More Days

What an awesome, awesome day today. I touched the sails twice - once this morning to unroll one reef in the jib, and once this afternoon to put it back in. The full, full moon is getting higher and higher in the sky and is so bright I can read my book by it. The wind is about 20 knots and Maggie Drum, as heavy as she is, is doing 8 knots over ground. Amazing, especially at night. As usual, getting around on the boat requires much care or you will end up with more than just the bruises we both have from banging into the bulkheads constantly. The boat is tilted over so much that you can't wash your hands in the aft head because the water pours out of the faucet over the side of the sink rather than in to it.

We continue to hear grumblings from other boats about this aspect of cruising. Believe me, if you have only cruised along the coast, you have no concept of what it is really like to do this for days and days on end. Tonight my dinner was creamy chicken and rice soup and I was lucky to have Cindy heat it up for me. You are probably tired of hearing about it but cooking in the galley is a nightmare. If you let go of anything, anything at all, it will be on the cabin sole in a microsecond. I often come down to just help hold something while she cuts it, or stirs the pot, or whatever.

The ocean out here is so clean though. My sense of smell is totally different. I think it is because my sinuses are finally clear of the dust, smog and other junk you get in them on land and around towns and cities. I never really noticed Cindy's deodorant before, but now when she puts it on, it assaults my nose in the strongest way. That's interesting because my own BO doesn't seem to bother me. Imagine that, me being a guy an all.

Less than three days now. If we average 6 knots we will get there early afternoon on Saturday. We wonder whether they will charge us extra to check in because it will be Easter holidays. The people are very religious there and take Easter very seriously, and Monday is a holiday like it used to be in the US.