Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Yahoo! Starter fixed!

All is well here. I will try to post a few pics with the limited battery on my PC here at the cafe. I forgot the adaptor for the 220v service here.

I got a call this morning from the moorage service telling me that some one from Bodium Engineering was at their office. They wanted me to come in so I jumped in the dink and went in to find a mechanic I had not met and he had pieces of our old starter in a box saying they were kaput, plus a rebuilt starter using my old mounting flange and armature, and the spare starter unchanged (and still broken). I was instructed to install the rebuilt one and see if it worked. The way it was said did not inspire confidence but I took it back to the boat and two hours later got it on and it worked! I also think my start battery is starting to get weak so that might have been part of the problem before.

Will have to use it for awhile to really test it (unfortunately) and we will hope that it works until we get back to NZ where I will get the spare starter rebuilt with a new solenoid. But so far, we are happy and back in business. The winds for the next few days are bad so we will sit tight here and see more of Port Vila and the area. Pics of the volcano next, I promise.